Just got back from an 8 day spearfishing charter in Fiji and had an absolute ball! Don't want to give too much away as I am writing an article about the trip but here are 7 quick reasons why everyone especially Spearos should go....
1. The Spearfishing is world class, attracting some of the worlds best Spearos!! Species include Monster Dogtooth Tuna, Massive Wahoo, Yellowfin tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Jobfish, Sailfish, Marlin, Barracuda, GT's and all your reef species.
2. Freedive Fiji charters operates out of Pacific Harbour offering day trips, extended trips (4 and 8 days) and can even customize trips to your needs. They can organize everything from the moment you step off the plane and and cater for every level of diver. Check out their site www.freedivefiji.com for more info.
3. Think Fiji is expensive?? Think again! Our dollar is buying 1.90 Fijian which is good for anyone wanting a cheap holiday and if you look on the right sites you will find some good deals. This is a prime example www.fijibeachouse.com offering backpacker style accommodation for $99 for a week or privates for $269 (2 people) incl breakfast and afternoon tea. This is on the Coral Coast so you can go spearing right out the front (where I lost a 6 foot Barracuda) or Freedive Fiji HQ is only 40 mins away for your big trip!
4. The locals are some of the friendliest people I have ever met and literally go out of their way to make you feel welcome in their country.
5. The water is clear!!! Im talking 15m is poor vis in Fiji. Some of us are lucky to dive in 2-5m some days and Fijians reckon 15m is dirty?? When you are getting 30m in most spots and up to 60m in others is easy to see why they call 15m dirty, lol...
6. Fiji has so much to offer! My girlfriend Cass just spent 6 days travelling through the Yasawa Islands (off the west Coast of Fiji) with 2 of her friends and said it was absolutely spectacular. Swimming with Manta Rays, Diving with dolphins and Jetskiing through caves were just some of the things they did as well as drinking $2.50 cocktails.
7. Flights are cheap, look for deals on the net. I have seen flights for as low as $159 one way (SYD to NADI). You could literally do a trip, flights, accom and 2 days of serious spearing with Freedive Fiji for under $1000!!
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??
Here are some photos from my first trip, staying at Beachouse and doing a day charter with Simon Latta and Travy Corken on Freedive Fiji and these are just a couple of pics from my latest trip where I did an 8 day charter with Freedive Fiji.[gallery link="file"]