Now that you learned how to catch red rock cod, it’s time we cover how to make a delicious meal out of it. A deep-fried rocky on a bed of rice with chilli dressing is one of the most basic, yet the best ways to enjoy a freshly caught red rock cod. This recipe bursts in flavours and is incredibly easy to make!
Here are the ingredients you need:
- Sesame oil
- Egg white
- Corn flour
- Spring onion
- Rice bran oil (for deep frying)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
How to cook fresh rock cod:
- Prepare the meat. Even though this rocky is dead, it can still spike you, so just be careful when you're scaling. Scale from the stomach up, rather than turning it upside down. Cut a few slices in the rocky’s body, it helps it cook evenly, cut down till you hit the backbone.
- Place the fish into a bowl. Add a little bit of sesame oil.
- Next, rub a 50-50 salt and sugar mix all over the skin and the chest cavity.
- Coat the whole rocky with egg white. Pour out the excess water from the bowl.
- Now generously coat the whole fish with corn flour. You want it to be completely dried up, and soak up all of the corn flour. Make sure you get the flour in all the cuts, and slits, and in the belly to make it crispy. Leave it for at least 20 minutes.
- Whilst leaving the batter to soak in, cut up your spring onions then mix them with the sweet chilli sauce.
- Heat up the rice bran oil in a wok and carefully fry the fish in. Cook it until it has a nice golden brown colour, and the fins are really crispy. Turn it a few times, to get everything under the oil. If you have a deep fryer, that would be great. You can just dunk the whole thing.
- Once completely fried, place the rocky over a bed of rice and add the chilli sauce on top of it. Season with salt and pepper and garnish it with spring onions. Enjoy!
Make sure to stay updated with our other Sydney Spearfishing blogs with Sailing Popao!