6 day trip to the Southern Great Barrier Reef on the liveaboard vessel, Eastern Voyager. We will be heading to the Southern or Northern Bunker Group, depending on wind direction.
Trip price includes Great Barrier Reef daily charges, all meals, linen, towels, bait, ice, tenders, tea/coffee and a supply of soft drink.
Guests can BYO alcohol. Mixers are not included in our supply of soft drink. Canned beverages preferred due to safety and rubbish removal.
Expect to encounter the following fish species: Coral trout, Spangled emperor, Green Job fish, Spanish Mackeral, Wahoo, Spangled emperor, Large eye sea bream, Red throat emperor, Trevally, Blackspot tuskfish, Maori cod, Purple cod. On the odd occasion you can encounter Dog Tooth Tuna on these reefs so if you have a Bluewater cannon you may bring it.
Due to a large amount of gear needed for spearfishing we recommend booking additional luggage for your flight. We also recommend booking an extra 20kg for frozen fish on the flight home.
Polystyrene fish boxes will be available for $10, they fit around 15 - 20kg per box. Please let us know in advance if you are after more than one box. Captured fish will be filleted and flash frozen with your name on them.
WHAT TO BRING
Divers are to be completely self-sufficient when it comes to gear. This includes spares and repairs. We recommend every diver to bring the following:
- Float and float line, depths will range from 10m - 30m+, please bring a float line suitable for your diving ability. Large floats are recommended for visibility. Please note that a float line and float with blue and white - Alpha dive flag are MANDATORY
- 1x 130cm - 140cm twin rubber gun for long shots (clear water) and larger species
- 1x Backup gun 110cm - 130cm
- Mask snorkel and fins
- Weight belt and weights
- Diving knife and filleting knife
- 3mm or 5mm wetsuit water temp average 22 - 25 C but can get as cold as 19 - 20 C, most people are more likely to get cold than too hot as you will be in the water for extended periods
- Flasher and flasher float if you are more interested in chasing Mackeral and Jobfish
- Zip lock bags or vac sealer (share with a buddy), bring plenty as it is recommended to make smaller fish portions for ease of use once you are home. All fish will be frozen to take home or consumed on the vessel
- Water proof marker for fish labelling, fish will not be shared around due to the risk of ciguatera in some of the larger coral trout. This ensures each diver is responsible for looking after their own catch
Recommended spares and optional items:
- At least 1x spare shaft for each gun, 2 preferred
- Spare rubbers & tying kits
- Spare bridles
- Mono and crimps
- Spare mask and snorkel
- Spare knife
- Spare gloves
- Dive computer, safely monitor your surface recovery times.
- Aqua Ear, this helps prevent ear infections use at the end of each day to dry out your ears
- Antibacterial hand wash, we like to take a Dettol wash for fish spine injuries and coral cuts this works well to stop infection when applied to any small cuts post-dive
- GoPro or action cam, the fish life and coral is absolutely amazing!!
- Lycra pants in case the water is hot, these can be worn with a wetsuit top
- Travel insurance - in case of severe weather or illness
There is absolutely nothing available for purchase on the boat when it comes to dive or spearing gear.
Spare items can be shared among the group as to minimise luggage, but that is something you can arrange with your travel buddies!Book Now