Capricorn Bunker Group Trip - May 2022
Cost: $2,699 per person - $500 upfront deposit (non refundable)
Day 1: Onboarding 3pm, debriefing, and departure mid-afternoon.
Day 2: Full Day of Spearfishing
Day 3: Full Day of Spearfishing
Day 4: Full Day of Spearfishing
Day 5: Full Day of Spearfishing
Day 6: Arrive back early hours of the morning.
5-day trip (4 nights) to the Southern Great Barrier Reef on the liveaboard vessel, Eastern Voyager. We will be heading to the Southern or Northern Bunker Group, depending on wind and weather conditions. The itinerary will be updated daily on the trip and a debrief will be given on where we are going and what to expect.
Trip price includes Great Barrier Reef daily charges, all meals, linen, towels, bait, ice, tenders, tea/coffee, and a supply of soft drinks. Guests can BYO alcohol. Mixers are not included in our supply of soft drinks. Canned beverages are preferred due to safety and rubbish removal.
Expect to encounter the following fish species: Coral trout, Green Jobfish, Spanish Mackerel, Wahoo, Spangled emperor, Large-eye Sea Bream, Red throat emperor, Trevally, Blackspot Tuskfish, Maori Cod, Purple Cod. On rare occasion, you can encounter Dog Tooth Tuna on these reefs so if you have a Bluewater cannon you may bring it.
Once the mother ship has reached it’s a destination or location for the day, you will head out on your own dory with up to 4 other customers to various locations on the reef. Each Dory is self-driven, giving you ultimate flexibility on what section of the reef you’re heading too. There will always be someone on main vessel to help you with where to head off to & give you tips and spots of interest on the reef. It’s recommended you have a basic understanding of Navionics & GPS systems.
Due to a large amount of gear needed for spearfishing we recommend booking additional luggage for your flight. We also recommend booking an extra 20kg for frozen fish on the flight home.
It is important to pack an esky if arriving by car to ensure that your fish will remain frozen on the way home. Polystyrene fish boxes will be available for $10, they fit around 15 - 20kg per box. Please let us know in advance if you require a box. If not ordered in advance, they will not be waiting there for you. Captured fish will be filleted and you can name and vac seal them, or flash frozen in plastic bags. However, we highly recommend you bring your own vacuum sealer and bags to preserve the fish as well as possible.
Self Guided Dory - The Eastern Voyager operates a self guided dory system. Giving you full flexibility and freedom to roam within every location. Our Adreno representatives will chat to you in depth before you head out and recommend different spots based on what you are hunting and ability levels. However they are often paid customers themselves - so be nice! Feel free to chat to us about anything you need or any questions you may have, whilst on the boat!
What to Bring
Divers are to be completely self-sufficient when it comes to gear. This includes spares and repairs. We recommend every diver to bring the following:
- Float and float line, depths will range from 10m - 30m+, please bring a float line suitable for your diving ability. Large floats are recommended for visibility. Please note that a float line and float with blue and white - Alpha dive flag are MANDATORY
- 1x 120cm - 140cm twin rubber gun for long shots (clear water) and larger species
- 1x Backup gun 110cm - 130cm
- Mask, snorkel and fins
- Weight belt and weights
- Diving knife
- 3mm or 5mm wetsuit water temp average 22 - 25 C but can get as cold as 19 - 20 C, most people are more likely to get cold than too hot as you will be in the water for extended periods.
- Flasher and Flasher Float if you are more interested in chasing Mackerel and Jobfish
- Zip lock bags or Vac Sealer (share with a buddy) Note: bring plenty as it is recommended to make smaller fish portions for ease of use once you are home. All fish will be frozen to take home or consumed on the vessel.
- Waterproof marker for fish labelling
- Note: fish will not be shared around due to the risk of ciguatera in some of the larger coral trout. This ensures each diver is responsible for looking after their own catch
- It is important to pack an esky if arriving by car to ensure that your fish will remain frozen on the way home. Polystyrene fish boxes will be available for $10, they fit around 15 - 20kg per box. Please let us know in advance if you require a box. If not ordered in advance, they will not be waiting there for you.
Recommended spares and optional items:
- At least 1x spare shaft for each gun, 2 preferred
- Spare rubbers & tying kits
- Spare bridles
- Mono and crimps
- Spare mask and snorkel
- Spare knife
- Spare gloves
- Dive computer, safely monitor your surface recovery times.
- Aqua Ear, this helps prevent ear infections use at the end of each day to dry out your ears
- Antibacterial hand wash, we like to take a Dettol wash for fish spine injuries and coral cuts this works well to stop infection when applied to any small cuts post-dive
- GoPro or action camera; the fish life and coral is absolutely amazing!!
- Lycra pants in case the water is hot, these can be worn with a wetsuit top
- Travel insurance - in case of severe weather or illness
There is absolutely nothing available for purchase on the boat when it comes to dive or spearing gear. Spare items can be shared among your group as to minimise luggage, but that is something you can arrange with your travel buddies!