Swim with Humpback Whales In TONGA!
Hurry! This trip only has 8 spaces available!
Date: Coming Soon in 2023
Cost: $4,095 per person - $1000 upfront deposit (non refundable)
Join us on an adrenaline-charged adventure charter to beautiful Tonga with Adreno. Starting with a minimum of 4 days diving, we’ll take you plenty of opportunity to encounter some amazing experiences with Humpback Whales!
Please note this is a freediving/swim with whales only trip. This is not a spearfishing trip.
This trip is also subject to the borders re-opening. If the borders are not open before the trip, you will receive a full refund of your deposit.
- 6 nights twin-share accommodation
- All meals, deliciously prepared by Tongan chefs
- Drinking water, tea and coffee
- 5 days guided whale swims at maximum of 7 hours per day as per Tongan whale swim guidelines (typically 9 am till 4 pm)
- Ferry transfers to and from ´Eua (from main island Tongatapu)
- Sunday half-day island tour of the spectacular natural sites, we well as other activities and options available.
- Limited internet usage at Blue Water Retreat
What's not included:
- Arrival to and from, including accommodation on the main island of Tongatapu
- Alcoholic beverages (only available through the licensed restaurant at the Blue Water Retreat)
- Weights available but BYO free-diving gear
- One of our Tongatapu staff will meet guests in the morning at the Queen Salote wharf and catch the ferry (2 hour trip) to ´Eua with everyone arriving at about lunch time and transfer to Blue Water Retreat
- Lunch at Blue Water Retreat, where you will be briefed and given accommodation
- 5 daily boat tours for Whale Swims (maximum 7 hours per day)
- Excludes Sunday, an official Tongan day off, when a spectacular half-day island tour is offered instead
Transfer to ferry terminal for a lunchtime ferry return to Tongatapu
Guests who have booked flights out of ´Eua instead of ferry, will either fly out that night or next day.
What to expect from the Whale Swims:
The experienced skippers and guides will always approach whales calmly and patiently, letting the whales decide if they want an interaction or not, which usually ensures a relaxed experience for all. Whales have different personalities and can have varying moods, making the search and each swim all the more rewarding! Each swim will be a new experience, and may last anywhere from a few minutes to an hour.
The whale swim guide will share the guidelines and best way to be in the water with the whales, including:
- Each boat tour will have a maximum of 8 passengers, guided by one of our experienced and knowledgeable Whale Swim guides (with official Tongan certification) A maximum of 4 guests will be in the water at any given time, with the guide
- Each daily boat tour will be for a maximum of 7 hours (port to port), this allows time for the whales to be doing their thing without any boats and humans around)
- Whales will decide if they want an interaction or not, we respect their space and will not interfere or force a swim
- Cows with calves will be approached with extra caution to ensure their bonding and safety
- No scuba diving with whales permitted
Blue Water Retreat:
The ocean-fronted retreat is located on the west coast of ´Eua island, which is approximately 15 miles from the main island of Tongatapu. To get to the Blue Water Retreat one needs to take a daily ferry or short 7 minute flight from Nuku´alofa (capital of Tonga on Tongatapu).
The accommodation at the Blue Water Retreat is made up of twin-share ´fale´s (bungalows) that have an ensuite, fans and their own balcony overlooking the beach and ocean. The rooms are exclusive to our Whale Swim guests, and are on a twin-share basis only. If you book on by yourself then you will be sharing with another guest on the trip.
There is a licensed restaurant/bar and all meals are included. The BWR will endeavour to cater for most diets and any special dietary requirements should be advised prior to arrival. Please make sure you let a Adreno know upon booking and we can make sure you are accommodated.
There is a beach out the front of the BWR and the BWR has a table tennis table and volleyball court to utilise.
The island and swim itinerary is quite full, with 5 out of 7 days on the boat swimming with whales, and two half days travelling. For those keen to explore, there are other activities including land tours to see scenic sites, beach walks, horse riding, trips to town, and church visits on Sundays.
What to bring:
Bring your own free-diving gear as there is no gear hire available in Tonga. There is some basic snorkelling gear upon request - please notify is if you will require anything ahead of time. The water temperature is cooler than what most people would expect, we recommend full length wetsuits of at least 2mm.
Other information and recommendations:
- Please respect local customs. Dress modestly in town and when touring the islands.
- No spearfishing allowed on whale swim days
- Please ensure you have travel insurance to avoid any disappointment
All customer bookings will be made fully refundable should the Tonga Borders not open in time for the whale swim season. A decision will be made on or before April 15, 2022. (At present the Tongan authorities are saying that a decision will be made on the opening of the borders by the end of March, 2022).
For full terms and conditions please click on the button at the top of the page.Book Now