Sharks have short-range electrical receptors in their snouts used for finding food. Shark Shield’s patented technology creates a powerful three-dimensional electrical field which causes unbearable spasms in these sensitive receptors turning sharks away, including Great Whites.
With the SCUBA7, this electrical field is created via a tank-mounted electrode, short antenna worn on the ankle, and a power module strapped to the thigh.
Shark Shield safety products are the ultimate ocean guardian providing peace of mind for surfers, divers, and ocean lovers around the world, while supporting shark conservation by removing the need for shark nets and culling.
- Includes charger with international power adapters
- Lightweight with specially designed tank mounted electrode and short low drag antenna
- Long-life 6 hour rechargeable lithium battery (over 300 charge cycles)
- Trusted by US and Australian Navy and mandated safety equipment for many professional diving organisations.
- Shark Shield technology CAN ONLY repel sharks and sting-rays. It does not affect or repel fish, crocodiles, dolphins, whales or freshwater creatures.
- The world’s only scientifically proven and independently tested electrical shark deterrent - and proven to deter Great Whites.
Once the antennas are submerged in salt water the electrodes emit the protective field allowing you to dive in freedom. Note it is advised that a full wetsuit is worn.
The SCUBA7 antenna has been designed to cause a minimum of water resistance and drag on the user. Less than that off the FREEDOM7 as the trailing antenna is smaller.
Shark Shield's unique waveform elliptical field only affects free-swimming sharks and to a minor degree rays and skates. The field generated by the Shark Shield is detected by the shark through its sensory receptors known as Ampullae of Lorenzini, situated on the snout of all predatory sharks. The unique and unfamiliar pulsing sensation emitted by the Shark Shield does not replicate that given off by a fish and does not attract sharks to an area. Shark Shield allows you to hunt, photograph or just swim with all other marine animals roaming freely in their ocean settings.
See testimonies from Abalone divers, spearfishermen, snorkelers. professional divers and gives peace of mind to you, your employer and your family. Abalone divers, contract divers, recovery, etc.
NOTE: Does not include the neoprene bag in the photo.
Here is a brief instruction on the Shark Shield, with some extra advice, from our Operations Manager Clive Lewis:
The Shark Shield uses technology invented by the Natal Sharks Board of South Africa. This technology has been used for the last 7 years by commercial and recreational divers around the world. Watch some more movies about the technology put to the test here: